Marquette Hockey loses in a close game at Calumet 0-1 on WFXHD2

The Redmen get ready to take on the Copperkings

Marquette, MI – December 7th, 2021 – The Marquette Redmen hockey team lost in a tough battle against the Calumet Copperkings 0-1. John Thompsen and Joe Gaffney had the call from Calumet on WFXHD2.

1st Period:

The Redmen showed no fear to start the game as through the first period they had a total of 17 shots on net. They were aggressive from the start as Jack Garrow spun from a check and moved down the ice but backhanded wide. Not too long into the first period, Owen Riipi subbed in for his first shift of the young season. Not only were the Redmen getting a lot of shots but they brought a lot of pressure on the Copper kings. A big hit from Ethan Phillips presented a scoring opportunity for the Redmen but they couldn’t convert. The first score of the game came from Calumet and they took the 1-0 lead.

End of 1st: Marquette 0, Calumet 1

The Redmen get ready to take on the Copperkings
The Redmen get ready to take on the Copper kings

2nd Period:

To start the second period the Redmen won the draw. Garrow picked it up and Kody Moyer had the two on one shot but the puck didn’t go in. There was a wide open net for the Redmen to score but they were called for a penalty. Marquette had a two on one scoring opportunity but the shot was missed and then the rebound was blocked. Wylen Cambensy made a great play to prevent Calumet from scoring and extending the lead. With 8 seconds left there was one final face off and Cole Ranta of Marquette won but the puck was quickly shot out of bounds.

End of 2nd: Marquette 0, Calumet 1

3rd Period:

The Redmen lineup ahead of their match up against Calumet
The Redmen lineup ahead of their match up against Calumet

Marquette got the puck in the net for the first time all night but the goal was quickly waved off. Colin Nemacheck had a good shot but it was blocked before it could get through. Garrow went low slot and Drew Dellies had a great shot but the puck couldn’t find it’s way to the net. Marquette was leading on shots 7-0. Dellies had a shot and Grange got the rebound but that shot also missed. Another scoring opportunity presented itself when the Redmen had a two on two and Dellies got a shot off but it went just over the crossbar.Grange had a one on one fast break but missed the shot, he got the rebound but missed just wide. The Redmen had one last chance to tie the game with less than ten seconds to go but couldn’t get the puck in the net.

Final Score: Marquette 0, Calumet 1

NEXT GAME: The Marquette Redmen hockey team will take on Mona Shores at home this Friday at 8:00 p.m. John Thompsen and Joe Gaffney will have the call live from Marquette on WFXDH2!

Listen to Full Game Here: Marquette Vs Calumet