LaFayette Collision Center in Marquette
Fox Sports Marquette – A mediaBrew Communications Company - All Sports, All the Time - 105.1fm

Marquette Remains Undefeated After 3-1 Win Over Houghton

Houghton, MINovember 23rd 2021 – The Marquette Redmen traveled to face off against the Houghton Gremlins tonight, continuing a 3 game road stretch in High School hockey.

Redmen Warm Up

Redmen Warm Up

A fast paced Dee Stadium was the story in the 1st period. Both teams were able to get plenty of shots on net in the early stages of the 1st. The Redmen had penalty issues early on, sending 2 skaters to the box one after another. After a great push from the Gremlins, Marquette was able to kill 4 minutes of short handed play. Gremlin Goalie Troy Povich gave up several scoring chances  late in the period, but was able to keep the puck out of the net. With just under 2 minutes to play in the 1st period, the Redmen were handed a 5 minute major. After 17 minutes of play, the game was scoreless.

With the major penalty at the end of the 1st period, the Redmen were short handed for the first three and a half minutes of the 2nd period. After successfully killing the 5 minute major, the Redmen were immediately given their first power play of the game, but were unable to capitalize on the man advantage. The physicality started to heat up halfway through the period as bodies started to collide on every possession. The Gremlins got too physical and ended up sending a man to the box, a costly penalty that would break the tie. Only 30 seconds into the man advantage, Redmen Forward Kody Moyer cleaned up a rebound and gave his team the 1-0 lead. Marquette held the lead into the 3rd period, out shooting the Gremlins 10-5 in the period.

Face Off

Face Off

The Gremlins came out hot to start the 3rd period, but Redmen Goaltender Wylen Cambensy continued his shut out, making some great saves to keep the puck behind the line. Halfway through the period, the Redmen were given a 2 man advantage after a couple Gremlins got too physical, the Redmen were able to take advantage. 30 seconds into the power play, Dellies buried to give the Redmen a 2-0 lead, assisted from Defense men Brayden Grange. Marquette continued the power play for another minute and a half, but were unable to take the 3 goal lead. There would be no scoring until about two and half minutes left in the period, the Gremlins would cut the deficit to 1. Seconds after the goal, the Gremlins would send a man to the box for the remainder of the game. With about 20 seconds to go, the Redmen iced the game with an empty net goal from Forward Jacob Garrow. Marquette won 3-1, to remain undefeated on the season.



Final: Marquette 3 Houghton 1

The Redmen continue their season next Tuesday, when the take on Escanaba in their first home game of the year. The puck will drop at 6:30 pm, you can hear the pregame show at 6 pm on Fox Sports Marquette 105.1 – 99.9.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *