Marquette Redmen Hockey Falls 4-3 in Overtime to Kingsford, Eliminated From Playoffs

The Redmen surround their goaltender.

Kingsford, MIFebruary 27, 2018 – The Marquette Redmen hockey team ended their season with a 4-3 overtime loss to the Kingsford Flivvers in the first round of the district playoffs on Tuesday night in a game that was broadcast live on Fox Sports Marquette 105.1-99.9 and online at  The Redmen, who had lost both of their regular season match-ups against the Flivvers, were just not able to find an edge against Kingsford and get the playoff win.

The Redmen, who were the designated home team by virtue of a coin toss, opened the scoring early when Hunter Doucette put the puck past the Kingsford goaltender just over two minutes after the opening puck drop.  The Flivvers tied the game at the 8:31 mark of the period, and at 13:25, Kingsford took a 2-1 lead.  Heading into the second period, the Kingsford Flivvers led the Marquette Redmen 2-1.

Marquette came out with more confidence in the second period, and tied the game early on a goal by Gaetanno Cammarata.  Tanner Phillips got the lead back for Marquette at the 6:23 mark, taking a pass from his cousin Joey and putting it into the net.  Marquette continued generating offensive opportunities, but failed to score again in the second period.  After two-thirds of the game had been completed, Marquette led the Flivvers 3-2.

The third period was a close one, and both teams created chances but failed to capitalize throughout most of the period.  Just when it seemed that the Redmen would be able to hang on and win the game in regulation, Sawyer Perpich tied the game with just 1:14 remaining on the clock.  With the score tied 3-3, the teams headed to overtime.

The overtime was hard-fought by both teams, and by all accounts, it looked as though they would head to a second extra session.  With 1:54 left, however, the Redmen turned the puck over in their own zone, Daunte Fortner picked up the loose puck for Kingsford, and his shot whizzed past Marquette goaltender Dylan Sibilsky.  The final score in the dramatic game: Kingsford Flivvers 4, Marquette Redmen 3.

For the Marquette Redmen, the loss means the end of their season.  It was a good year, at times marred by injuries and struggles, but a good year nonetheless.  For the seniors who are leaving for greener pastures, we all wish them good luck in their future endeavors.  For the players who will be returning to the Marquette hockey team next season, we wish them a good offseason and can’t wait to see them in action again.  And finally, for the fans that tuned in and supported the Redmen all year, we thank you and hope you’ll be back next year to cheer on your Redmen.

Listen to the audio from the broadcast here.