The Redmen Victorious Over Kingsford Flivvers

The Redmen prepare to take on Kingsford.

Kingsford, MISeptember 28, 2018The Marquette Redmen faced the Kingsford Flivvers at Kingsford in their first away bout in three games. The Redmen were coming off of a heartbreaking loss against Petoskey last week. The Redmen fought to improve their 2-3 record at their sixth game of the 2018 season.

The first quarter started like a game of hot potato. Kingsford started with possession but Ethan Hayes knocked away a Flivvers pass to give Marquette the ball. The Redmen suffered an interception at the hands of Flivvers’ Trevor Povolo to give possession right back to Kingsford. Not to be outdone, number 55 Austyn Tabbert intercepted a Kingsford pass to take the ball back for Marquette.

With possession back in the hands of the Redmen, Ethan Martysz made a strong 20-yard rush to bring Marquette to the 25-yard line. However, an unfortunate penalty backed the Redmen up to the 40-yard line. Collin Hicks redeemed the Redmen with an amazing catch for a 33-yard gain to bring Marquette all the way up to the 5-yard line.

Marquette started the second quarter at 4th and goal. Brady Wright wasted no time and leapt over the pile for a touchdown to make the score 7-0 with the kick.

Kingsford’s quarterback Luke Terrain answered with a 69 yard run into the end zone. The kick was good and the score was all tied up at 7-7.

On the next Redmen possession Ethan Martysz dashed down the field and into the end zone from 67 yards out for an immediate answer to the Flivvers. The score settled at 14-7 after a successful kick from Drew Wyble.

Marquette’s defense kept the Flivvers at bay during their next possession. The Redmen did not waste any time on theirs as they marched up the field. A 36-yard run straight into the end zone from Brady Wright widened Marquette’s lead to 21-7.

The Flivvers gave up their next possession on a Brady Wright interception and, with that, Marquette ran out the clock to protect their lead going into the half.

The Redmen began the second half with possession and a chance to solidify a commanding lead. Marquette handed it over to the Flivvers, however, with no change to the scoreboard before Kingsford’s first possession of the half.

A fumbled snap by the Flivvers gave Marquette a chance to take over but Flivvers’ Tyler Beauchamp snatched the ball back and turned it back over to Kingsford. Terrian took his chance and scored from five yards out to bring the 21-14 at the end of the third quarter.

The first Marquette possession of the fourth quarter resulted in no change to the scoreboard. The Flivvers hunted for a chance to put pressure on the Redmen. Terrian did just that with a late touchdown for a score of 21-20. The two-point conversion was unsuccessful as Marquette’s defense protected their one point lead with a little over a minute left in the final quarter. The Redmen held the Flivvers and Marquette goes home with the victory.

The Marquette Redmen will be at Lakeland Union next week on Friday, October 5th. Pregame is at 7:30pm and kickoff is at 8:00pm. Catch all the action on Fox Sports Marquette 105.1-99.9 and 103 FXD.

Listen to a recording of the live broadcast here.